Exclusive: Kinetic action was required after 26/11 Mumbai attacks, says Manish Tewari

Manish Tewari in his interview with Aditi Tyagi said, “This book neither slams UPA nor is it a criticism of the BJP-led NDA government. The purpose of writing the book was to highlight the circumstances and security challenges faced by India." 

Exclusive: Kinetic action was required after 26/11 Mumbai attacks, says Manish Tewari

New Delhi: Congress MP Manish Tewari on Saturday (December 4) in an exclusive interview with Aditi Tyagi talked about his book’s excerpt-- India should have acted against Pakistan after 26/11 Mumbai attack, when UPA was in power-- that has created controversy. 

In his book '10 Flashpoints: 20 years - National Security Situations', Tewari has written, "For a state that has no compunctions in brutally slaughtering hundreds of innocent people, restraint is not a sign of strength; it is perceived as a symbol of weakness. There comes a time when actions must speak louder than words. 26/11 was one such time when it just should have been done. It, therefore, is my considered opinion India should have actioned a kinetic response in the days following India's 9/11.” 

Tewari clarified that he did not target the then UPA government in his book.  “This book neither slams UPA nor is it a criticism of the BJP-led NDA government. The purpose of writing the book was to highlight the circumstances and security challenges faced by India, how the issues were tackled. I did not write the book keeping anyone in mind,” he said. 

Further, he added, “For almost 8 years, Pakistan had ramped up its proxy war against India. After 26/11 attacks in Mumbai that killed several innocents, I believed kinetic action was required. When India adopts strategic restraint, Pakistan sees that as a weakness.”

Watch the excerpt of the interview here: 

Tewari also touched upon various issues including Congress, China, LAC and surgical strikes. 

Zee News App: Read latest news of India and world, bollywood news, business updates, cricket scores, etc. Download the Zee news app now to keep up with daily breaking news and live news event coverage.